|THE issue surrounding the status of the Subang Ria Park in Subang Jaya was among the topics raised during a dialogue on Wednesday on the Selangor Draft Structure Plan 2020. |
Subang Jaya assemblyman Datuk Lee Hwa Beng, who brought up the issue, said the park had never been handed over to the Subang Jaya Municipal Council (MPSJ) even though it was marked as a green lung years before.
“The developr is still holding on to the 32ha park’s title even though the land was the agreed upon 10% of development land that was supposed to be set aside as a green lung when the area was developd,” he said, adding that the park was supposed to serve residents from SS12 to SS19.
”It is because of this park that nearby residents find only small pockets of open space within their housing areas. The MPSJ wants it handed over so that it can take over the maintenance of the park,” said Lee, who is also a MPSJ councillor .
He said the wrangle for control over the park had been going on long enough between the developer and the council and the state government should study the matter to ascertain who should have control of the green lung.
Wangsa Baiduri resident Eddy Chung, 67, said residents in the area were constantly worried as talk that parts of the park would be redeveloped seemed to crop up every few months and the people would rest easier if it was indeed handed over to the council.
“Residents in the area are already worried over ongoing works to build several condominium blocks in Wangsa Baiduri. There is only a single access road leading into and out of the area and talk that the park might be developed only adds to our worries,” he said.
He said the park was widely used by youths and retirees like him to find some peace from the daily hustle and bustle of city living as well as recreation and wanted the park retained.
Selangor Town and Country Planning Department director Datin Paduka Dr Halimaton Saadiah Hashim, who chaired the dialogue, in her reply, said in the case of the Subang Ria Park a mistake had been made when a separate title for the Subang Ria Park was issued to the developer.
“The state government is working on the problem. We have been studying the issue for some time now and are looking for a solution,” she told the 100 residents present at the event.
Meanwhile, Kinrara assemblyman Dr Kow Cheong Wei questioned why developers continued to build low-cost units using outdated designs even though they had the resources to come up with better designs and layout for the units.
“The low-cost flats are still being built like those that came up over a decade ago. It makes these flats look dreary,” he said, adding the developers could make changes to the design without incurring additional costs.
Dr Kow also called for larger plots of land to be set aside for schools as the current 2ha often proved to be too small when the time came to increase the number of classes due to increasing demand as the population in the area increased.
“There have already been cases in Puchong where members of the public had agreed to make contributions to allow the school to add the number of classes but the school has no land left to construct them,” he said.
Petaling Jaya resident Derek Fernandez sought clarification on the status of the structure plan for Petaling and parts of Klang that was gazetted in 1996 after the Selangor Structure Plan 2020 came into effect.
He said many residents were worried that all their input during the drawing up of the structure plan that was already in force would now be ignored as the state-level structure plan came into force.
He also called on the state government to make clear the type of action that could be taken if local authorities went against listed land use or other specifications mentioned in the structure plan.
Halimaton replied that the state-level structure plan was being drafted as a follow-up to the national plan that was already in force and would supersede any existing structure plan.
“The existing structure plans involved smaller areas of one or two districts and were done by the local authorities. The one we are working on now is for the whole state and will standardise development throughout the state,” she said.
She said the committee put in charge of overseeing the drawing up of the draft would also take into consideration items already listed in the existing plans.
“I would also like to make clear that this will not be the only chance for residents to voice their suggestions and objections as the structure plan is open to review every five years and if there are calls for changes at that time we will look into them too,” she said.